Special class railway Apprenctices (SCRA)
Special Class Railway Apprentices' (SCRA) refers to a handful of candidates that are selected by theUnion Public service Commission (UPSC) after a very rigorous selection process.
The examination for selection of candidates for appointment as Special Class Railway Apprentices' in Mechanical Department of Indian Railways is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission in accordance with the Rules published by the Ministry of Railways (Railways Board) in the Gazette of India.
SCRA 2011 Eligibility Criteria
- 17-21 years on 1st august of the year of examination. Certain reserved categories are eligible for age relaxation.
- For admission to the examination, a candidate must have passed in the first or second division, the Intermediate or an equivalent examination of a university or board approved by the Government of India with Mathematics and at least one of the subjects Physics and Chemistry as subjects of the examination.
SCRA 2011 Application procedure
- The UPSC have developed an application form common for all their examinations which will be processed on computerized machines.
- This application form along with an Information Brochure containing general instructions for filling up the form, an acknowledgement card and an envelope for sending the application is obtainable from the designated Head Post Offices/Post Offices throughout the country as listed below of Notice against cash payment of a requisite amount.
- Form should be purchased from the designated Post Offices only and not from any other agency.
- Since this form is electronically scanable, due care should be taken to fill up the application form correctly.
- The candidates should also fill up in the relevant places of the Acknowledgement Card, their Application Form Number (8-digit) and the name of the examination. The applicants are required to affix the postage stamp on the Acknowledgement Card and send the same along with application form to UPSC.
- The duly filled in application form and the acknowledgement card should then be mailed in the special envelope supplied with the Information Brochure. You should also write the name of examination viz. "Special Class Railway Apprentices' Examination, (& Year in which examination is held )" on the envelope before despatching it to "Secretary, Union Public Service Commission, Dholpur House, New Delhi-110069".
SCRA 2011 Examination Pattern
Part I: Written examination ( 600 marks)
General Ability Test ( English, General Knowledge and Psychological Test): 200 marks
Physical sciences ( Physics and Chemistry) : 200 marks
Mathematics: 200 marks
Personality test carrying a maximum of 200 marks in respect of only those candidates who are declared qualified on the results of written examination.
SCRA 2011 Important dates
- Date of notification: 19.03.2011
- Last date for receipt of applications: 18.04.2011 ( Monday)
- Date of commencement of exam: 31.07.2011 Sunday)