Question : Using a periodic table, predict whether a compound made from the following elements will be ionic or covalent...
1) I, F
2) C, Br
3) Li, S
4) Ga, O
5) Sr, Cl
6) Be, I
could you explain how you do this too?
Answer : 1) Covalent
Sure no problem :)
If a compound is made up of two metals (METAL-METAL) or two nonmetals (NONMETAL-NONMETAL), it is covalent.
If a compound is made of one metal and one nonmetal (METAL-NONMETAL), it is ionic.
See in problem one, the compound includes I (Iodine) and F (Fluorine). Both are NONMETALS, so it is covalent.
In problem 4, the compound includes Ga (Gallium) and O (oxygen). Gallium is a metal and Oxygen is a nonmetal. METAL and NONMETAL is ionic.
Question : I can't find any specific information in the textbook. One student had a argument with the teacher. I didn't say anything but I'm still confusing. I used to put them under nonmetals. The two General Chemistry book I borrowed from the central library consider them nonmetals. So are noble gases nonmetals, metals, or simply just noble gases?
Answer : Consider this-
Hydrogen is a nonmetal near and above room temp.But at temp. near absolute 0K, it is harder and shinier than metal.
But noble gases show no such property at any temp. So, they can be termed as nonmetals.
NOTE: We do not consider absolute 0K condition, since everything is hard then.
Question : 1. Where in an an atom would you find its valency electrons?
2. How many valency electrons do most metals have?
3. How many valency electrons do most non-metals have?
4. Are the Noble Gases Metal or non-metal?
5. Metals are malleable. What does this mean?
6. Are non-metals lustrous?
7. Which metal is use for making kitchen foil?
8. Which non-metal is essential for breathing?
9. Is diamond a metal or a non-metal? What element is it?
10. Which of these metals has the greatest density: cop..
Answer : Wow - don't like homework huh?
1. Electrons are always on the outer most shell orbiting the
3. No simple answer because Hydrogen is a non metal
5. Can be shaped
9. Diamond is carbon and carbon is a non metal