Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship 2010
The Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (RGNF) Scheme for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes is formulated and funded by Ministry of Social Justice Empowerment and Ministry of Tribal Affairs. The main objective of this scheme is to provide financial aid to students who belong to Scheduled Caste (SC) and Scheduled Tribe (ST) and wish to pursue higher studies such as regular and full time M.Phil and Ph.D degrees in Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences and Engineering Technology.
Every year for all the subjects there are 1333 slots for Scheduled Caste and 667 slots for Scheduled Tribe candidates. As per the criteria decided by the Expert Committee, 50% of the fellowship would be provided to the Girl students. 3% of the seats are reserved for the physically handicapped students who belong to the SC ST class.
The application process for the year 2011 started from March 2, 2011. The last date of submission for these application forms was initially scheduled on March 20, 2011. However, later on it was extended till March 21, 2011. The UGC has still not declared the names of the selected candidates who have applied for this fellowship programme the year 2011.
Details about Fellowship Scheme
Fellowship in Science Humanities and Social Science
@ Rs. 12000/- p.m. for initial two years – JRF (junior Research Fellowship)
@ Rs. 14000/- p.m. for remaining tenure – SRF (Senior Research Fellowship)
Fellowship in Engineering & Technology
@ Rs. 14000/- p.m. for initial two years – JRF (junior Research Fellowship)
@ Rs. 15000/- p.m. for remaining tenure – SRF (Senior Research Fellowship)
@ Rs. 10000/- p.a. for initial two years
@ Rs. 20500/- p.a. for remaining tenure
Humanities & Social Sciences
@ Rs. 12000/- p.a. for initial two years
@ Rs. 25000/- p.a. for remaining tenure
Sciences, Engg. & Technology
@ Rs. 3000/- p.a. per student to the host institution for providing infrastructure
@ Rs. 2000/- p.m. in cases of physically handicapped & blind candidates
Terms and Conditions to apply for RGNF Scheme are:
1. Applicant must belong to SC/ST and should have passed the Post Graduate examination.
2. The selection of the candidates will be done on the basis of merit of the candidates.
3. The candidate must get himself/herself registered for M.Phil./Ph.D at the first available opportunity but not later than within a period of two years from the receipt of award letter.
4. Fellowship period is not extendable. However, the actual payment of fellowship will be made with effect from the date of joining only. If the research work is found satisfactory by the foundation, his/her tenure may be extended further for a period of three years under the enhanced emoluments of the Rajiv Gandhi National Senior Research Fellowship (RGNSRF).
5. The fellowship may be withdrawn if the work is not considered satisfactory or the candidate fails in any of the examinations related to Ph.D. The candidate would be eligible for following financial assistance.
In very rare cases Rajiv Gandhi National Junior Research Fellow (RGNJRF) may be allowed leave without fellowship by the Commission up to one year of academic session during the complete term of the award for accepting teaching assignments on a temporary basis, provided the assignment is in the same city/town. In other cases, leave without fellowship will be restricted to a period not exceeding three months during the tenure of the award on the recommendations of the supervisor and the institution.
1) “The application form received from the applicants who will not be selected for fellowship will be rejected after six months of the selection made in that respective academic year under the fellowship scheme. Henceforth, such application form cannot be called for after destroying.”
2) The applications in the prescribed format given below may be sent to Mr. SATISH AHUJA, UNDER SECRETARY, (SA-III), UNIVERSITY GRANTS COMMISSION, BAHADUR SHAH ZAFAR MARG, NEW DELHI-110002 duly forwarded by the Registrar/Director/Principal of the Universities/Institutions/Colleges. Application sent by the HOD alone would be considered as incomplete application.