Bangalore University - B.Com 6th Sem - Business Law
Dec 23, 2010
To familiarise the student with Business Laws and its interpretation.
UNIT - 1: 4 hours
Introduction: Meaning and Scope of business law - Sources of Indian business law.
UNIT - 2: 30 hours
Indian Contract Act of 1872 : Definition - types of contract - essentials - offer, acceptance, consideration capacity of parties - free consent (meaning only) - legality of object and consideration - various modes of discharge of a contract - remedies for breach of contract.
UNIT - 3: 5 hours
Intellectual Property Legislations : Meaning and scope of intellectual properties - Paten Act of 1970 and amendments as per WTO agreements : Background - objects - definition - inventions - patentee - true and first inventor - procedure for grant of process and product patents, WTO rules as to patents (in brief), rights to patentee - infringement - remedies.
UNIT - 4: 4 hours
The Environment Protection Act of 1986 : Back ground - definition of 1) Environment
2) Environmental pollutant 3) Environment pollution 4) Hazardous substances, and 5) Occupier - Power of central Government in relation to protection of environment and prevention of environment pollution.
UNIT - 5: 4 hours
Consumer Protection Act. [COPRA] 1986 : Back ground - definitions of 1) Consumer
2) Consumer Dispute 3) Complaint 4) Deficiency 5) Service - Consumer Protection Council - consumer redressal agencies - District Forum, State Commission and National Commission.
UNIT - 6: 4 hours
Foreign Exchange Management Act 1999 : Objectives, Scope and salient features - offences under the act.
UNIT - 7: 5 hours
Cyber Laws 1999 : Objectives, definitions and salient features, provisions pertaining to piracy and related offences and penalties.
UNIT - 8: 4 hours
Competition Law 2003 : Meaning and scope, salient features, offences and penalties under the Act.
- Draft a 'rent agreement' incorporating all the essential features of a valid agreement.
- Draft an agreement to repay a loan borrowed from a bank on installment basis.
- Case laws ' involving points of law of contracts'.
- Draft a complaint against 'unfair trade practice' adopted by a businessman, to the consumer forum.
- List out the latest cases of both High Court and Supreme Court on Environmental issues with both facts and judgements. [Atleast 2 cases]
BOOKS FOR REFERENCE:
1. Tulsian - Business Law, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi.
2. Aswathappa. K & Ramachandra - Business Law, HPH, Mumbai.
3. Kapoor N.D. - Business Law, Sultan Chand & Co.
4. Bare Acts.
5. Nabhi - Business Law, Indian Law House, Mumbai.
6. Garg, Sareen, Sharma & Chawla - Business Law.
7. M.C. Kuchhal, Business Law.
Was this article useful?