Bangalore University - B.Com 3rd Sem - Corporate Accounting - I
Dec 23, 2010
CORPORATE ACCOUNTING I
This course enables the students to develop awareness about Corporate Accounting in conformity with the Provision of Companies' Act and latest amendments thereto with adoption of Accounting Standards that are likely to be introduced from time to time.
Unit 1: UNDERWRITING OF SHARES 8 hours
Meaning - Terms used in underwriting - underwriter - marked application - unmarked application - partial underwriting - firm underwriting - calculation of underwriting commission - Preparation of statement showing allocation of gross liability and net liability. SEBI guidelines for underwriting.
Unit 2: REDEMPTION OF PREFERENCE SHARES 12 hours
Meaning - legal provisions - treatment regarding premium on redemption - Creation of Capital Redemption Reserve Account (CRR) - Fresh issue of shares - Arranging for cash balance for the purpose of redemption - minimum number of shares to be issued for redemption - issue of bonus shares - preparation of Balance Sheet after redemption.
Unit 3: VALUATION OF GOODWILL 10 hours
Meaning - Definition - Elements of goodwill - Types of Goodwill - Purchased Goodwill - Non purchased or inherent Goodwill - Valuation of Non-purchased Goodwill - Average Profit Method -Super Profit Method - Capitalization of Average Profit Method - Capitalization of Super Profit Method - Annuity Method
Unit 4 : VALUATION OF SHARES 10 hours
Meaning - need for valuation - factors affecting valuation - methods of valuation - Asset Backing or Intrinsic Value Method -Yield Valuation Method - Dividend Yield -Fair Value method - value of right shares - valuation of preference shares.
Unit 5. COMPANY FINAL ACCOUNTS 20 hours
Knowledge on requirements of Companies Act for presentation of Profit and Loss Account and Balance Sheet of a company - Treatment of special items relating to Company Final Accounts- Depreciation - Interest on Debentures - Tax -Dividends - interim - proposed - unclaimed - interest out of Capital - managerial remuneration - commission after charging such commission - Treatment of Profit and Loss Appropriation Account - Preparation of Balance Sheet as per the requirements of Companies Act Amendment 1993.
- Collection of application form of a Company for shares and filling.
- Collection of Prospectus of a company and deciding whether or not to
- Invest in the shares of that company recording reasons.
- Visit to an Underwriter's office and collection of information.
- List out any five names of institutional underwriters.
- Collection of latest final accounts of a company and find out the net
- Asset value of shares
- List out the conditions to be fulfilled for redemption of Preference shares.
- Evaluate the goodwill based on a company's Balance Sheet.
BOOKS FOR REFERENCE:
1. S.N. Maheswari , Financial Accounting.
2. Narayanaswamy , Financial Accounting.
3. SP Iyengar, Advanced Accountancy.
4. RL Gupta, Advanced Accountancy.
5. Jain and Narang, Corporate Accounting.
6. Tulsian, Advanced Accounting.
Was this article useful?